Exploration. Fun. Performance. And a great desire to take and leave towards the horizon. The identity of this bike leaves no room for doubt: just looking at it, it brings you into the atmosphere of Dakar racing.
DesertX is the first modern Ducati with 21 "front wheel and 18" rear, long stroke suspension and a new frame designed specifically for the off-road experience.
21 front and 18 rear wheels, long stroke suspension, generous ground clearance (250mm) and an off-road frame designed and tested to withstand the toughest conditions.
ERGONOMICS OPTIMISED FOR EVERY CONDITION
Ergonomics and aerodynamic study give life to a motorcycle that has off-road as a natural territory and at the same time remains comfortable, easy and safe for urban commuting and long travels.
ADVANCED ELECTRONICS, DEDICATED TO VERSATILIY
The versatility of DesertX is also reflected in the Riding Modes: there's 6 of them, with Enduro and Rally dedicated specifically to the off-road riding experience.
LIGHTWEIGHT ENGINE TUNED FOR OF-ROAD USE
DesertX is equipped with the latest evolution of the 937 cc Testastretta 11th desmo, lighter by 1.7 kg compared to the previous generation and equipped with a new gear ratio to ensure the best off-road behavior.
POST-HERITAGE & DIGITAL
DesertX presented a completely new challenge to the Centro Stile. The opportunity to experiment with a new design language, seeking inspiration in the history of African Rally.
The result is a solid, clean, modern design, based on shapes taken from the most adventurous off-road world. It is a bike that wants to be solid and functional at the same time.
POST-HERITAGE & DIGITAL
A design out of time and fashion."
Jeremy Faraud, Product Design.
The aesthetic of the DesertX manages to combine the suggestion of homage to the "Dakarians" with a decidedly modern "look and feel". This Adventure bike was designed by the Centro Stile Ducati following the criteria of essentiality and sturdiness. The designers have pushed for a minimalist aesthetic that communicates resistance, once again managing to combine form and function in the best possible way.
- Post-heritage Look
- The DesertX pays clear homage to the Enduro bikes of the past, but every reference has been reinterpreted by Ducati with the aim of making the bike absolutely contemporary.
- Digital sensations
- The dual full LED DRLs are integrated into the windshield, without any other visible structure. It almost looks like a touch interface. It's post-heritage and digital at the same time.
- Robust-design guidelines
- The effect of "Robust Design" is rendered by a studied alternation between large and small curvatures. Lines that, from the first glance, tell of the sportiness of a bike that conveys the pleasure of adventure.
- Functional ergonomics
- The surfaces in contact with the rider are large and well connected, allowing movement in various directions with the highest level of comfort, especially in off-road riding.
ENJOY THE DETAILS
We put the emphasis on a few, decisive elements that enhance the technological character of the bike.
For example, the front end creates a completely new composition that makes an impression from the first glance. The windscreen merges with the headlight.
- Asymmetrical Tank Design
- The authenticity of the DesertX is underlined by the tank, a real metal tank with a large capacity and an off-centre cap.
- We thought about the rider's thermal comfort by creating fresh air ducts hidden behind the side guards, while hot air from the radiator is exhausted from underneath.
- The aluminium cowl, standard on this bike, covers most of the engine, creating visual continuity with the front of the bike.
CONFIGURE YOUR ADVENTURE
Electronics at the service of safety, versatility and style.
DesertX, like all Ducati models, has advanced electronics for safety and performance in all conditions.
- 6 Riding Modes
- The versatility of the DesertX is also reflected in its Riding Modes. It has 6 modes, 2 of which are specifically dedicated to the off-road riding experience: Enduro and the brand new Rally Mode, in addition to the Sport, Touring, Urban e Wet modes.
- The Flexibility of the riders assistance package
- The electronic equipment is completed by a package of rider assistance systems: Traction Control, Wheelie Control, Engine Brake Control, Cornering ABS, Quickshifter Up & Down and Cruise Control, to make long distance riding even more relaxing.
- Full Led Lighting equipment
- The bike's completely Full LED lighting system equipment is of the highest level. The double front headlight has two bi-function polyellipsoidal modules with Daytime Running Light (DRL) and has been designed to ensure excellent visibility, which is particularly important for a bike that can ride in all conditions. The rear headlight is equipped with the Ducati Brake Light. The system, in the event of sudden braking, automatically activates the flashing of the rear light to signal the condition of sudden slowing to following vehicles, making a further contribution to rider safety.
- Display and Connectivity
- The DesertX is equipped with a 5" TFT colour display ready for integration with the Ducati Multimedia System (and oriented vertically to offer the best visibility even when riding standing up.
The front headlight, which features the unmistakable sector DRL, is full-LED, as are the rear light and the direction indicators to ensure the best visibility and the most decisive look.
There is also the Ducati Brake Light system which, in the event of sudden braking, automatically activates the flashing of the rear light in order to signal a potentially dangerous condition to the vehicles following.
The DesertX is equipped with a high-resolution 5" TFT colour display oriented vertically and positioned to offer the best visibility even when riding standing up.
This display is prepared for integration with the Ducati Multimedia System that allows you to connect your smartphone via Bluetooth and activate Turn by Turn navigation by receiving directions directly on the dashboard.
The display offers the possibility to choose between two standard Info Modes: Standard and Rally.
- STANDARD Info mode
- In Standard mode, all necessary information for road riding is displayed, with RPM and speed in the foreground.
- RALLY Info mode
- Rally Info Mode, on the other hand, brings up the remaining range and the tripmaster function typically used on rally bikes during navigation.
6 RIDING MODES
The safety and performance of the new Ducati model are also guaranteed by the electronic systems, which represent the state of the art in terms of performance and safety.
There are 6 riding modes available for the rider, each with its own specific destination of use. Beside the already known Sport, Touring and Urban are the new Wet Riding Mode for use on wet asphalt and the two Riding Modes dedicated to off-road riding: Enduro and Rally.
Each riding mode can act on the character of the engine through the 4 power modes: full, high, medium and low, which change the power and responsiveness of the Testastretta.
- ENDURO Riding Mode
- The Enduro Riding Mode, thanks to the reduced power and the specially designed control settings, makes it possible to tackle even the most demanding off-road terrain with greater safety and facilitates riding for novice riders.
- RALLY Riding Mode
- Rally Riding Mode, with full engine power and reduced electronic controls, is designed for experienced riders who want to get the most out of their DesertX off-road performance.
The ABS can be set to three different levels:
Level 3: suitable for road use, always safe and stable
Level 2: a bit more permissive, designed for off-road use.
Level 1: still off-road, but acting only on the front for even more intense use.
Finally, it is possible to completely exclude the ABS system only on Enduro and Rally riding modes. A detail dedicated precisely to the most experienced off-roaders and maybe a little aggressive in driving.
THE VERSATILE SPORT-TOOL
"DesertX is a sport-tool, which we made easy on every road."
Pierluigi Zampieri, Head of Vehicle
The DesertX is a versatile bike: it has been specifically developed to cope with the most demanding off-road riding, but it is also safe and comfortable for touring, and at home on everyday trails.
- 21"/18" wheel combination
- DesertX is equipped with the iconic wheel combination for the enduro segment: spoked wheels, 21'' at the front and 18'' at the rear. Ready to easily tackle any type of obstacle and asphalt.
- Generous ground clearance
- A fundamental feature for off-road use, DesertX has a ground clearance of 250 mm, which is particularly favorable for more extreme off-road riding.
- Wide choice of tyres
- The DesertX is equipped with Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR tubeless tyres that combine greater reliability and safety in case of puncture with easier repair. Thanks to the different approvals obtained, there is a wide choice of alternative tyres.
- Kayaba long stroke suspension
- The 46mm upside-down fork and fully adjustable single shock absorber were developed with the Japanese brand Kayaba, a successful producer in the off-road world.
As far as the suspensions are concerned, we have worked with a brand of proven success in the off-road world: the Japanese company Kayaba, with whom we have shared several days of testing in the definition of the best setup, using top-level components.
Quality and adjustments of these components allow us to meet the needs of each rider in different riding conditions.
- Front fork
- The 46mm diameter upside-down Kayaba front fork offers a whopping 230mm of travel and is adjustable in compression, rebound and preload.
- Rear monoshock
- The single shock absorber, also Kayaba, is adjustable in compression, rebound and preload and, through the aluminium swingarm, allows 220 mm of rear wheel travel.
The DesertX is equipped with Brembo brakes with ABS Cornering function. The braking power setting has been studied to offer the right power for road use, but also good modulability in off-road riding and on difficult terrain.
- Front System
- The front system is characterized by the presence of Brembo M50 monobloc radial calipers with 4 pistons of 30 mm diameter, axial master cylinder with adjustable levers and 320 mm double front disc with aluminium flanges.
- Rear System
- At the rear we find instead a single 265 mm diameter disc on which works a double-piston floating caliper, always Brembo.
In off-road riding, it is not only the hardware you have at your disposal that determines performance but also, and above all, the confidence and feeling that the bike gives you, which translates into control and safety in all conditions.
- Riding position
- The ergonomics of the saddle, handlebars and footpegs are designed to make the transitions from sitting to standing, typical of off-road riding, as natural as possible.
- Shapes and surfaces
- The shape of the tank, saddle and other components ensure better control of the bike.
- The seat height is 875mm and can be reduced thanks to the seat and lowered suspension kit available as an accessory.
LONG DISTANCE TRAVELLING
We worked on a number of features that make the DesertX truly enjoyable on all types of asphalt.
- Rider and passenger comfort
- A comfortable riding position for both rider and passenger, thanks to targeted form and padding for each seat.
- Aerodynamics and heat management
- The management of heat, with openings and flows of fresh air studied. Aerodynamic protection with great care taken in defining the shape and size of the original and accessory windshield.
- Tank range
- Adequate autonomy for longer journeys thanks to the fuel tank with a capacity of over 21 litres and the possibility of mounting a second tank at the rear of the bike as an accessory, adding an additional 8 litres of gasoline.
- Load capacity and tyres
- The excellent load capacity, almost 120 L of volume available between bags and top cases, made of aluminium. The tires are the tubeless Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR that combine excellent off-road performance with grip and confidence in all asphalt conditions.
The new DesertX is equipped with the latest evolution of the water-cooled 937 cc Desmodromic 11Îç Testastretta engine with 110 horsepower and 92 Nm of torque.
It's the well-known twin cylinder already appreciated on our other models for its double soul: very manageable and smooth at low revs, but with a torque that is always ready and able to release all the Ducati character with a great extension.
- The new version of the Testastretta 11 Îç introduces important improvements over the previous generation, which have led to an overall weight saving of 1.7 kg.
- Reliable and also designed for touring use, the engine has very long maintenance intervals, with oil change every 15,000 km and valve clearance check every 30,000 km.
- Off-Road Tuned
- The work on the DesertX gearshift also involved the ratios, which were shortened overall on all gears up to fifth, in particular first and second, to ensure the best off-road behaviour, while maintaining a long sixth gear for greater efficiency at high speed.
TECHNOLOGY FOR THE ADVENTURE OF A LIFETIME
We worked by drawing on the best of our knowledge in terms of ergonomics, engine, aerodynamics and electronics. And we developed a new specific chassis for off-road.
DesertX is functional, a 'sport tool', competent, technologically advanced and effective like all Ducatis.
|POWER||110 hp (81 kW) @ 9,250 rpm|
|TORQUE||92 Nm (68 lb-ft, 9.4 kgm) @ 6,500 rpm|
|DRY WEIGHT||202 kg (445 lb)|
875 mm (34.4 in)
890 mm (35.0 in) with high seat accessory
865 mm (34.1 in) with low seat accessory
845 mm (33.3 in) with low seat + low suspension kit accessory
NEED SOME ASSISTANCE?
Cant find what you're looking for?
Lets us know and we can provide you with all the details