THE EVOLUTION OF SPEED
The Panigale V4 2022 represents the last step in the characteristic path of the Borgo Panigale sports bikes and it takes life from Ducati Corse long-time experience married to continuous knowledge and technology sharing from the world of racing directly to production bikes.
With the 2022 version, the Panigale V4 project completes the most significant evolution since its birth. The improvements involve all areas: aerodynamics, ergonomics, engine, chassis and electronics. The result is an even faster bike on the racetrack and at the same time more intuitive and less tiring for a wide range of riders. In short, it offers great and rewarding excitement to pro-rider and amateur alike.
Even more beautiful with new, more compact and efficient double-profile-design wings and redesigned extraction sockets to improve the cooling system.
Raised power to 215.5 hp at 13,000 rpm and new SBK gearbox with lengthened I, II and VI gear. New torque management strategy that guarantees the rider the possibility of always having the optimal thrust when opening the throttle.
The pivot of the single-sided aluminium swingarm is positioned 4 mm higher. Equipped with the new ’?hlins NPX 25/30 electronically controlled pressurised fork that uses a pressurized cartridge damping system with a 125 mm travel.
The seat and tank have been redesigned to maximise the rider's performance and minimise the physical effort required for track riding.
New Power Mode logic with 4 engine configurations to satisfy all types of riders, from professionals to amateurs tackling their first track days.
SBK-style gear shift indicator. New graphics designed for the track to help the rider fine-tune the electronic controls.
The first new feature of the new Panigale V4 2022 version has to do with aerodynamics. Ducati engineers concentrate in fact their hard work on the fairing, which now integrates more compact and thinner double-profile design wings with increased efficiency: this update guarantees the same vertical load, up to 37 kg at 300 km/h.
Furthermore, the lower part of the fairing features redesigned extraction sockets to improve the cooling system and, as a consequence, the performance of the engine, in particular during racetrack days.
NEW DOUBLE-PROFILE-DESIGN WINGS
The Panigale V4 '22 features new the fairing, which now integrates more compact and thinner double-profile design wings with increased efficiency: this update guarantees the same vertical load, up to 37 kg at 300 km/h.
The lower part of the fairing features redesigned extraction sockets to improve the cooling system and, as a consequence, the performance of the engine, in particular during racetrack days.
The heart of the bike is represented by 1,103 cm3 Desmosedici Stradale MotoGP-derived, which has undergone a series of updates. The Desmosedici Stradale completes a further evolution for 2022, thanks to the introduction of some dedicated technical elements that allow an increase of power together with an instant throttle response.
The Desmosedici Stradale - Euro 5-compliant* - delivers 215.5 hp at 13,000 rpm, with a power increase of 1.5 hp compared to the previous version, which rises to 2.5 hp over the peak of maximum power at 14,500 rpm. The engine also delivers a torque of 123.6 Nm (12.6 kgm) at 9,500 rpm, and already from 6,000 rpm it provides 80% of the maximum torque available.
*in countries wheere Euro 5 regulation applies
The diameter of the two silencer outlets has been increased to 38 mm (increase of the gas section by 18% compared to the silencers of the MY2021), allowing to reduce the backpressure in the exhaust and, consequently, to improve the performance of the engine.
The oil pump with smaller displacement and optimisation of the calibration of the oil circuit allows to reduce power absorption.
The new gearbox provides for a lengthening of the ratio for the first, second and sixth gears. This new SBK gear ratio is therefore more racing-oriented , more suitable for use on track.
The first gear has been lengthened by 11.6%, while the second by 5.6%. Thanks to this new gearbox, it is now easier to tackle the tightest corners in first gear, enjoying greater engine braking and better acceleration out of corners.
NEW POWER MODES STRATEGY
A new Power Modes logic has been implemented on the Panigale V4 2022 which provides for 4 engine configurations: Full, High, Medium, Low. The Full and Low configurations are newly designed while the High and Medium configurations use a new strategy.
- Power Mode Full
- Power Mode Full is the sportiest ever adopted by a Panigale V4 and allows the engine to express its full potential with torque curves without electronic filters, except for first gear. A new Ride by Wire map management system has been developed for the High and Medium Power Modes; now dedicated to each of the six gears, which guarantees the rider the possibility of always having the optimal thrust when opening the throttle. The Power Mode Low, on the other hand, has been conceived to make road riding even more enjoyable, limiting the maximum power of the bike to 150 hp and offering a particularly manageable throttle response.
- Power mode High & Medium
- A new Ride by Wire map management system has been developed for the High and Medium Power Modes; now dedicated to each of the six gears, which guarantees the rider the possibility of always having the optimal thrust when opening the throttle.
- Power Mode Low
- The Power Mode Low has been conceived to make road riding even more enjoyable, limiting the maximum power of the bike to 150 hp and offering a particularly manageable throttle response.
The new Panigale V4 2022 is powered by the 1,103 cm3 Desmosedici Stradale (banked 42° back from the horizontal), a MotoGP-derived 90° V4 with Desmodromic timing, a one-of-a-kind engine featuring a counter-rotating crankshaft and Twin Pulse firing order. The engine can deliver 215.5 hp at 13,000 rpm and a torque of 12.6 kgm at 10,000 rpm, making for awesome road riding.
The new engine is designed around the Desmodromic system, a characteristic that helps make Ducati the fastest prototypes of the top racing class in motorcycle racing. With this high-rotation engine the "Desmo" achieves its maximum technical value, reaching levels of sophistication, compactness and lightness never seen before on a Ducati.
On street bikes the crankshaft rotates in the same direction as the wheels. In contrast, in MotoGP the counter-rotating crankshaft that rotates in the opposite direction is commonly used. The Desmosedici Stradale has borrowed this technical solution to compensate for part of the gyroscopic effect produced by the wheels, making the bike more agile and precise when changing directions. The counter-rotating crankshaft also generates a torque due to inertia that tends to lower the front end during acceleration, and the rear end when braking, thus reducing the wheelie phenomenon.
Combined with the V engine layout, this particular shaft geometry allows for a special 'Twin Pulse' ignition sequence. The distinctiveness lies in the fact that the two left-hand cylinders fire closely together, as do the two right-hand ones. On the timing chart, the ignition points are, then, at 0°, 90°, 290° and 380°. This particular firing order makes the V4 sound just like the MotoGP Desmosedici.
Even the redefinition of the Panigale V4 and Panigale V4 S 2022 chassis brings numerous important innovations. Specific technical choices are the result of experiences honed in MotoGP and SBK and are aimed at improving on-track performance. The final target is very clear: better times, achieved with less effort and with greater consistency.
The Desmosedici Stradale is a stressed element of the chassis and the admired aluminium Front Frame is directly connected to it. The chassis is completed by the lightweight magnesium front frame and the seat post made of shell cast aluminium, fixed at the top to the Front Frame and screwed below to the head of the rear bank.
’?HLINS PRESSUREISED FORK
The S version of the Panigale V4 adopts an ’?hlins NPX 25/30 pressurised fork, which fits into the ’?hlins Smart EC 2.0 event-based electronic control system. This latter currently represents the state-of-the-art for road sports bikes. It has an increased stroke of 5 mm with the respect to traditional forks (125 mm) and uses a pressurized system, with a 25 mm piston to manage the compression in the left leg and a 30 mm piston to manage the extension in the right leg. This layout is SBK-derived and minimises the risk of oil cavitation during heavier use. The result? Better braking support and at the same time great absorption of road bumps. All this translates into a greater riding feeling, greater speed and increased ease in pushing to the limit.
Thanks to the increased travel of 5 mm, the new fork can adopt softer settings (the stiffness of the springs has increased from 10 to 9.5 N / mm) improving the ability to achieve smoother riding and better grip in critical conditions. This news fork is also able to offer an extra amount of stroke that increases the feeling in the most demanding braking sections.
The new fork, combined with the maintained ’?hlins TTX36 shock absorber and with the electronic steering damper, also ’?hlins, generate the Smart EC 2.0. second-generation system of the featuring OBTI (Objective Based Tuning Interface) logic. This system works for objectives and no more per click allows the rider a much more intuitive management than traditional systems.
NEW CHASSIS SET-UP FOR STRONG CORNERING
On the new Panigale V4 the swingarm pivot is positioned 4 mm higher than that of the 2021 bike. This special technical choice increases the anti-squat effect, stabilising the bike in acceleration and helping the rider in all those throttle-open phases: changes of direction, out-of-corners acceleration. This new position of the pivot (which is fixed and non-adjustable) allows the biker to increase the opportunity of adjusting the suspension.
Panigale V4 standard version also features an absolutely outstanding chassis and is equipped with the 43 mm diameter fully-adjustable Showa Big Piston Fork, Sachs steering damper, fully-adjustable Sachs monoshock and cast aluminium rims with a 5-spoke design.
- Wheels and Tyres
- The Panigale V4 S is equipped with 3-spoke forged aluminium alloy wheels and fitted with Pirelli DIABLO Šܢ Supercorsa SP tyres in 120/70 ZR17 front and 200/60 ZR 17 rear sizes.
- Brembo StylemaÎ
- The Panigale V4 '22 mounts Brembo StylemaÎ monobloc calipers at the front with four 30 mm diameter pistons each working on 330 mm diameter discs, ensuring exceptional braking power. At the rear we find a single 245 mm disc with 2-piston caliper.
Ergonomics has been a core focus of in-depth development with the aim of improving the control of the bike during track sessions and to allow the rider to get the most ot of the Panigale V4Š—Ès performance, both on a single lap and heavy use on the track.
The main changes involve the seat and the tank, which have been redesigned.
The fuel tank has a new shape that gives it more capacity (+1 litre) and offers a completely different fit area compared to the 2021 version, allowing riders of all sizes to better anchor under braking and to ride faster and longer. Thanks to the new tank shape, the rider is also better integrated into the bike and results therefore more comfortable in the best aerodynamic position. In addition, the contact area of the arms during hanging off phase is also improved.
The saddle has now a flatter shape and an improved coating, which grants easier movement of the riderŠ—Ès body and reduces the rider's tendency to move forward when braking.
The Panigale V4 features a latest-generation electronics package based on a 6-axis inertial platform which instantly detects the bike's roll, yaw and pitch angles.
The electronic package includes controls that manage all the riding phases, whose operating parameters are connected by default to the 4 Riding Modes available (Race A, Race B, Sport, Street).
All of the Panigale V4's functions are managed via a high resolution 5" full-TFT colour display.
- ABS Cornering EVO
- Cornering ABS EVO can be set at three different levels to fully satisfy rider needs on road or racetrack, even under critical low-grip conditions. Level 3 is intended for road use or in circumstances where there is little grip, ensuring the safest, most stable braking....
Levels 2 and 1, instead, prioritise braking power and are better suited to sports riding on high-grip surfaces and racetracks. Selecting Level 2 lets riders drift into corners safely and enjoy enhanced sports riding performance. Recommended for track sessions, ABS level 1 restricts ABS intervention to the front brake only, yet retains the Cornering function to allow super-hard braking up to and past the turn-in and recovery from any riding errors.
- Ducati Traction Control (DTC) EVO 3
- The DTC EVO 3 is derived from the Ducati Corse experience and has a refined strategy that intervenes in the mid-corner throttle reopening phase to manage the Desmosedici Stradale's clearance recovery in a gentle way, modulating the torque delivered and avoiding the peak that can be to have game recovery completed so as to make acceleration out of corners even easier and more predictable...
While exiting a bend, when you open the throttle, it can normally happen that at the end of the clearance recovery phase of the "drive line", there is an unwanted and unexpected slippage of the rear wheel due to the acceleration peak of the crankshaft , which disturbs the rider when he is dosing the reopening of the accelerator.
The new software predictively adjusts the torque delivered, calibrating the angular acceleration of the crankshaft in order to make the clearance recovery phase fluid, this translates into a more neutral behaviour when exiting corners with a better driving feeling for the pilot.
The new strategy is active in all levels of the DTC indicated for dry track (levels 1 to 4) and in that for wet track with rain tires (level 7).
- Ducati Slide Control (DSC)
- This system assists riders by controlling the torque delivered by the Desmosedici Stradale engine according to slide angle. Its purpose is to improve-out-of-the-bend performance by preventing slide angles that would otherwise be difficult to handle...
The DSC relies on the inertial platform that provides the vehicle control unit with crucial information on bike dynamics (such as lean angle, acceleration and much more). Thanks to this data - and depending on the user-selected level - DSC extends the performance range of the bike for all riders, providing improved assistance under extreme riding conditions. DSC has two different settings: switching from level 1 to level 2 gives easier control of slide angles that would otherwise be hard to manage.
- Ducati Wheelie Control (DWC) EVO
- The Panigale V4 is also equipped with the latest version of Ducati Wheelie Control EVO (DWC EVO). Using the data feed from the inertial platform, this system keeps wheelies under control while maximising acceleration easily and safely. DWC EVO provides more accurate wheelie readings; it thus exerts more precise control to ensure the bike responds faster to rider input.
- Ducati Power Launch (DPL)
- This 3-level system ensures lightning-fast starts, letting the rider focus on releasing the clutch. Once set, all the rider has to do is engage first gear and open the throttle. During the initial moving-off stage, as the rider modulates clutch release, DPL stabilises the Desmosedici Stradale engine at optimal revs according to the selected level. In the second stage, when the clutch has been fully released, DPL controls torque delivery to maximise acceleration on the basis of the selected level...
DPL makes use of DWC functions and always keeps DTC active so as to ensure complete safety at all times. Automatic system disengagement occurs above the end-of-start speed, or once third gear is selected. To protect the clutch, a specially developed algorithm allows only a limited number of consecutive starts. The number of available starts is reset when the bike is ridden routinely. The DPL has three different settings and is activated by pressing the specific key on the right-hand switchgear. Level 1 favours high-performance starts, level 3 is safer and more stable. able .
- Ducati Quick Shift up/down (DQS) EVO 2
- DQS EVO 2 with up/down function, developed for the Panigale V4, uses lean angle data to maximise bike stability when shifting gears through the bends. In addition to minimising shift times, DQS EVO 2 allows clutchless down-shifts, making hard braking more effective than ever.
- Engine Brake Control (EBC) EVO
- The EBC (Engine Brake Control) system was developed to help riders optimise bike stability under extreme turn-in conditions; it does so by balancing the forces applied to the rear tyre under severe Desmosedici Stradale engine braking conditions.
- Ducati Electronic Suspension (DES) EVO
- Electronic suspension offers a choice between manual Fixed mode - which allows for virtual-click manual adjustment (32 clicks between fully open and fully closed for the suspension and 10 for the shock absorber) of compression, rebound and steering damping - and automatic Dynamic mode...
When Dynamic mode is selected the system automatically adjusts - on the basis of information received from the inertial platform and other sensors - compression and rebound damping in response to riding style. The ’?hlins Smart EC 2.0 system has the considerable advantage of letting riders customise the intensity of suspension response to individual ride events (braking, cornering, acceleration) and letting them modify the operating parameters of individual hardware components. This gives the rider access to next-level dynamic bike control, augmenting on-road safety and shortening track lap times.
FULL CONTROL OF YOUR PERFORMANCE
The improved dashboard features a new distribution of the functions of the external lights. Ducati technicians introduce an additional Info Mode, developed keeping in mind the MotoGP riders suggestions and named Track Evo , an option added to the existing Road and Track settings.
In the Track Evo screen, the tachometer moves on a horizontal scale positioned in the highest part of the instrument, which is the most visible, and the indication of the gear engaged is in the center of the screen. On the right area there are four sectors of different colours, each dedicated to an electronic control.
These sectors light up individually when the electronics are working on a certain parameter, remaining on for the time necessary for the rider to identify which indicator is activated. This signalling mode facilitates the userŠ—Ès task in understanding the control that has actually worked to allow him to intervene more precisely and punctually on the choice of the optimal level and to obtain better performance more quickly. The left sector completes the information with the stopwatch, the number of laps completed and the speed.
- Ducati Lap Timer GPS
- The DLT GPS feature automatically records and saves lap times and displays them directly on the dashboard each time the bike crosses the finish line, the coordinates of which are set by pressing the flasher button. If a lap time is the best of the current track session, the Best Lap function causes it to flash for 5 seconds. At every lap - for a total of 15 consecutive laps - DLT GPS records lap time, maximum rpm and maximum speed; the information can be called up from the relevant menu. DLT is available as a Ducati Performance plug- and-play accessory.
- Ducati Data Analyser + GPS
- The Ducati Data Analyser + GPS (DDA + GPS) allows assessment of bike and rider performance by showing traces for specific data items. DDA + GPS is a vital on-track performance monitoring tool. Not only does it automatically display and record Panigale V4 lap times, it also saves other data traces such as throttle opening, bike speed, engine rpm, selected gear, engine temperature, distance travelled, rpm and DTC. DDA + GPS is available as a Ducati Performance plug-and-play accessory.
- Ducati Multimedia System
- Panigale V4 is ready for the Ducati Multimedia System (DMS). This lets riders take incoming calls, select and listen to music or receive text messages via a Bluetooth link. When the rider mounts the motorcycle the smartphone automatically connects to the bike via Bluetooth, letting the rider control the main multimedia functions. The TFT display shows the music being played, the new text message icon or caller's name. Phone call audio and music are transmitted to the helmet earpieces. The DMS is available as an accessory throughout the Panigale V4 range.
EVEN MORE PERFORMING
The 2022 improvements have been confirmed though a special testing on the Vallelunga racing track, in Italy. The Panigale V4 S 2021 and the 2022 version both equipped with Pirelli SC1 tyres gained centre-stage, ridden by two testers joined by the pro-rider Michele Pirro. At the end of the day, it turned out that the first tester improved his best lap on the new Panigale V4 S 2022 by 0.9 seconds, the second by 1.2 second, while Michele Pirro was faster by half a second, lapping just three seconds from his best time in Race 1 at Vallelunga, on the occasion of this yearŠ—Ès Italian Superbike Š— Š— Championship, where, however, he raced counting on the most performing SCX compound.
|POWER||158.5 kW (215.5 hp) @ 13,000 rpm|
|TORQUE||123.6 Nm (91.2 lb-ft) @ 9,500 rpm|
|DRY WEIGHT||175 kg (386 lb)|
|SEAT HEIGHT||850 mm (33.5 in)|
NEED SOME ASSISTANCE?
Cant find what you're looking for?
Lets us know and we can provide you with all the details